There was no saint called ‘Saviour’ – the church is dedicated in honour of ‘the Transfiguration of the Holy Saviour’, and so for convenience the name was cut down!
The tower presents a very odd appearance, and this is explained by the fact that its top storey was removed in 1853, and new set of battlements built. The belfry windows were reset lower down on the north and south sides, while on the west face the sound-hole was left in place instead. The west doorway was remodelled – either then or possibly in 1728, when the south porch was rebuilt. Its doorway is the original fifteenth-century one reset - and much mutilated.
After its closure, it became first a parish hall, and then a badminton court. It is now in use as a youth centre, and has been altered accordingly.
The furnishings, which were simple, and largely dating from the 1852 restoration, have all been removed.
Of these, the font is now in St George Colegate. It consists of an octagonal bowl with quatrefoils set on a shaft with engaged shafts, grotesque heads at the bases, and nodding ogees above. They are clearly from two different fonts – and which one was the original St Saviour font?
Other furnishings still in place when it was closed included Commandment Boards behind the altar, pitch-pine pews, and an organ of 1860 in the gallery. The conservative nature of these is explained by the long incumbency of Harris Cooke, from 1856 until 1909. He was offered at least six other livings during his time here, and each time refused owing to pressure from his congregation at St Saviour.
The nave roof is concealed by a ceiling of plaster; the chancel roof dates from 1923.
|All Saints Westlegate||St. George Tombland||St. Julian||St. Michael at Plea|
|St. Andrew||St. Giles||St. Lawrence||St. Peter Hungate|
|St. Augustine||St. Gregory||St. Margaret||St. Peter Mancroft|
|St. Benedict||St. Helen||St. Martin at Oak||St. Peter Parmentergate|
|St. Clement||St. James Pockthorpe||St. Martin at Palace Plain||St. Saviour|
|St. Edmund Fishergate||St. John de Sepulchre||St. Mary Coslany||St. Simon & St. Jude|
|St. Etheldreda||St. John Maddermarket||St. Mary the Less||St. Stephen|
|St. George Colegate||St. John Timberhill||St. Michael(Miles) Coslany||St. Swithin|