The Monuments of St. Mary the Less

Portrait Peter Colombine
Portrait courtesy of Norwich Museum & Art Gallery

Monument Paul ColombineThere remain only 2 monuments in st Mary the Less.

The first is reasonably well preserved, is to Paul Colombine and his wife Esther. The inscription makes clear his French background and pays homage to his father Francois Jacolumbine, a native of Dauphiny, who fled to Norwich on the revocation of the edict of Nantes, where he practised physic. Although little is know about Paul his elder brother Peter (portrait shown)was sheriff in 1751 and mayor in 1755. He was married to Marie, daughter of Gaston Martineau (see below)

Click here for a readable view of the inscription

Monument Martineau

The second monument is to members of the Martineau family who are again clearly of French origin.

The Martineau family of Norwich became well known in the 19th century as leaders of the Unitarian movement advocating the principles of freedom of conscience advocated by Harriet Martineau and her brother, Dr. James Martineau.

This monument is extremely hard to read but click here for a better view



Churches managed by NHCT are highlighted in in bold below. Click to visit a church.
All Saints Westlegate St. George Tombland St. Julian St. Michael at Plea
St. Andrew St. Giles St. Lawrence St. Peter Hungate
St. Augustine St. Gregory St. Margaret St. Peter Mancroft
St. Benedict St. Helen St. Martin at Oak St. Peter Parmentergate
St. Clement St. James Pockthorpe St. Martin at Palace Plain St. Saviour
St. Edmund Fishergate St. John de Sepulchre St. Mary Coslany St. Simon & St. Jude
St. Etheldreda St. John Maddermarket St. Mary the Less St. Stephen
St. George Colegate St. John Timberhill St. Michael(Miles) Coslany St. Swithin